Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Today

Earlier this morning...

Today I am hosting a 31 party at my house. I'm feeling good about it. I'm not going all out on the food. Just simple things that are yummy and hopefully filling. There is only one load of laundry to do and it's just the clothes we wore yesterday. I'm just going to sweep, mop, vacuum and clean the bathrooms. It's all easy peasy and should be able to be accomplished before 6:30pm. There's plenty of time for school to be finished, too. Sounds stress free, right?

Two hours later...


Elaina hopped in the shower this morning after breakfast. Claire had to go use the potty so she went in my bathroom. I started cleaning the kitchen. Screams started coming from the back of the house. Jason started yelling to pull Elaina out of the shower. Water started pouring out of the bottom of the toilet in my bathroom. Pouring.

I now have two bathrooms out of commission. I have a basket of soaked, and I mean soaked, towels that need to be washed but can't be because of the backed up water line. I have almost no clean towels left in the linen closet. I have three little people that will need to go use the potty at a moment's notice, but can't. I have women coming, women who expect (and rightly so) clean, working commodes. I have a crockpot full of homemade chicken stock that needs to be strained and put in freezer containers which will then leave me with a greasy mess that I can't wash because of the backed up water line. I have nasty, greasy hair that can't be washed because of the backed up water line.

You think I would now be stressed, right? I admit that I was. But now I'm just laughing. It is what it is. And it will all work out in the end. If my house smells like a chicken carcass during the party, oh well. At least it's an organic chicken carcass. If I have laundry everywhere, oh well. These people have laundry at their house, too. If I look gross, what's new? I'll spray some perfume on me or wear some sparkles or something.

Life seems better if you just learn to laugh and move on.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

That's why I booked the free room at Cherry Berry for my party on the 29th.

Good luck tonight! I hope you win some purple paisley.

nanny said...

my home is always open to you for what ever you need.

AMAY said...

Absolutely, positively maaahvelous attitude, daahling!!

Anonymous said...

B,
you just gotta get that line replaced soon.
A

Debbi said...

awwwww, bless your heart. aren't you on city sewer? gotta get some "yeast" into those commodes to get some bacteria going and clean those lines out. Use yeast packages on a regular basis until better:)
better yet, call the -plumber:)