Monday, October 07, 2013

Routine

Life is back to normal. We get up, get dressed, get the kids fed and then usually I take the older three to school. We live about two minutes from the school so Jason stays home with Nora (unless she's already awake and then she insists on coming with me) while I drop off the girls.

 I come home and sometimes Jason goes straight to his studio (which is also about two minutes away from our house) but sometimes he lingers and we have breakfast together. Then I get started with my day. I put a load of laundry in the washer, I make the beds, I straighten the house and Nora helps me with it all. We clean the dishes. We fold the laundry. We hang the laundry on the clothesline and we always take a few minutes to swing while we are outside. I've been baking a lot, too. I've started making my own bread and I'm trying to keep healthy snacks in refrigerator for when the girls get home from school.

Once the girls are home, we finish homework and then they play, play, play.  We eat supper around 5:30pm and then, if it isn't raining, we usually end up in the yard throwing balls, climbing trees and running around getting dirty.


 Then it's bath time and brushing teeth time. Many evenings at this point, we all gather in the living room and I read to the family. We are currently reading Prudence with the Millers, The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, and Farmer Boy. Nora usually throws her choice in the mix, too. Last night it was Sammy the Seal but more often than not, it's Harry at the Sea.
We are working on potty training. It's going surprisingly well. She usually has an accident or two every morning, but then pretty much makes it to the potty on time, every time.

Life is nice and calm.  There's something about this house that encourages calmness. (Well, not in the day to day. It can get pretty loud over here when all the young ones are home.) It also encourages patience, frugalness, and a feeling of contentment.

 Sometimes Claire will say she doesn't like living here because there are spiders but I remind her that we had spiders at our other house, too and that also I haven't called the bug man, yet. But she smiles so big and plays so hard that I know she feels right at home here. We all do.



update: after I wrote this post, Nora and I packed a lunch for Jason and drove it over to him. I counted and it took 25 seconds to get there, not two minutes. And then I had to drive to the school and give the girls their jackets and it took a little over a minute. And now you know the truth.

5 comments:

elliebird said...

i have routine envy.

nanny said...

Awwwww. I love this one. It is a happy contented home. So happy for all of you.

Anonymous said...

The girls are getting SO big and pretty. I loved the video of Nora. By the time we see y'all at Chrisrmas a year will have passed since I've seen them - shameful!

Abby

caitlin said...

you are so blessed, bekah. makes me happy for you.

rachel tsunami said...

I am so very thankful for this blessing of normalcy in your lives. Four months of insanity have taught you to value it more than you ever could have imagined. Life sounds so good.