Thursday, August 28, 2014

8 years of deception

Apparently I like to roll with the unique kids:
Cholestasis occurs in about 1 out of 1,000 pregnancies but is more common in Swedish and Chilean ethnic groups. 
Pre Eclampsia can affect as many as 10% of pregnancies

When I was pregnant with Elaina, I ended up getting (having?) pre-eclampsia. I also had cholestasis of the liver. If I understand it correctly, that is when your pregnancy hormones affect your liver (I accidentally typed lover at first. And while that wasn't the word I was going for, it totally works in that sentence.) and you itch like crazy. Crazy is not even a strong enough word to describe the itching. It's in your ears, behind your eyeballs, all over your entire body- inside and out. And no matter how much you scratch, you can't get to the itch. So you scratch some more. And more. And more. Until you are bleeding all over but you don't care so you purchase a steel brush so that you can scratch even harder. It's all just loads of fun. I itched the most on my legs and so they got the most attention- scratching wise. I would wake up and find dried blood on the sheet where I had scratched in my sleep. I had a lovely design of scabs going on.
A few weeks after I gave birth, the itching mostly went away, except for on my legs. Pretty soon I noticed that the top of the lower half of my legs were covered with little white scars. So for eight years or so, I've told everyone that those spots are scars, not even considering that maybe they were something else. A month or two ago, I was getting a pedicure and I mentioned to the woman to just ignore the scar spots and she said, "Oh, I just thought you had a skin fungus."
oh. hmmmm    i never thought about that.     that makes so much more sense.  why did i never consider that?  maybe i should check on that. FUNGUS??!!! GROSS!!!

Well, since then I have noticed that I now have a few of these spots on my thighs and on my arms.
I HAVE FUNGUS IN MY BODY. Y'all, I don't do things like fungus very well.  I've grossed out over the thought many times since then. I called right away and scheduled an appointment but the earliest date open was a few weeks out. But I am here to happily announce that today is the day!  I am so happy. This is the best day of the year, so far; the day I can hopefully start taking something to get the fungus out of my body. Out! Out!Out, I say!
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure you'll all be on pins and needles until then since this is earth shattering information.





2 comments:

nanny said...

Glad you got to have that day!! It was fun seeing you and the girls in FS.

Chad & Bonny Day said...

So what was it?