Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Weeelllllll...


I don't vaccinate my children. I just don't. If you don't like it, don't be one of my children.


Eily had a little dimple show up in her left thigh when she was a newborn. It was triple cuteness. Then she grew. And it grew. Now it is an indented spot the size of a quarter and has no pigment. I took her for her 15 month checkup last week and pointed out the growth to her doctor. She immediately set up an appointment with Children's Hospital for last Monday. Mom went with me and after waiting and hour and a half (we showed up waaaay too early) we were taken back to the rooms. A doctor would come in, look and poke around on the spot, leave and get another doctor. They would come and look and poke and then have a secret meeting in the hallway and then go get another doctor. This went on until we had five doctors in the room examining and consulting.

The diagnosis is this:
Iatrogenic Lipodystrophy.

I'll break it down for you.
Iatrogenic means physician induced.
Lipodystrophy means A disorder of fatty tissue characterized by a selective loss of body fat.

Backing up in history a little bit.
Eily was born. I signed the form refusing the Hep B vaccination. They took Eily to give her the vitamin K shot. When the nurse brought her back in she handed her to me and said, "Here she is, Mommy. She's had her shots and is all clean and ready for you." I said, "Shots?" She didn't get the Hep B shot, right?"

Turns out, the nurse had just asked the other workers in the nursery if Eily was supposed to receive the shot and they said yes so she just gave it to her without checking Eily's chart.

Fast forwarding to Monday.

The doctors said what happened is this. When the Hep B vaccination was given it killed her fat at the injection site. That place is going to continue to grow with her body and she will have to have reconstructive surgery when she is about 10 years old.


On the bright side,
Eily got two new pairs of shoes this week. Nothing makes that girl happier than shoes.

5 comments:

Margaretta said...

Oh, Rebekah. That's just infuriating. So sorry for poor ol' Eily.

(and here's an excited 'eeeeeep!' for the surprise prize!)

the Provident Woman said...

I can't believe they didn't check her chart. Grrrr.

Wanda said...

I cannot say what I am thinking... I don't have words.

Wanda said...

I can say what I am seeing - RED!!!

Debbi said...

BEkah, Goo's friend is a nurse and said if they hit the muscle too deep in her leg, it would have destroyed the muscle as well. The hep-B is very dangerous to the health of the children. All of these vaccines are just hype to make money. I do believe the doctors think they are doing the right thing. They are taught this is right. I also think many are questioning this just like many of us. I am SO THANKFUL these doctors decided to give you a proper diagnosis.
I too am broken hearted for Eily. So uncalled for!!!
you are a GOOD Mom. Love you.