Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Homemade Pop Tarts

Y'all. These are so good. 
I've been trying to cook more of our snacks using whole wheat four and five ingredients or less. I'm slowly striving to make our diet 100% preservative free. I found this recipe  on 100 Days of Real Food. 

The ingredients are:

  • 2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour, plus extra for rolling out the dough
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 cup cold, unsalted butter (2 sticks)
  • ½ cup water plus ice
  • 1 egg beaten with a splash of water
  • 7 – 8 tablespoons jam or jelly 

The recipe said to use a food processor but since I don't have one, I used my stand mixer
I mixed the dry ingredients with the whisk paddle and then I switched to the "all purpose" paddle to mix in the wet ingredients.
I rolled it out on the pastry mat about a half inch thick.


 

I used this lid gripper as a template to cut out the pop tarts. It was the only thing that I could find that was the right shape. :)




I could fit four rectangles on the mat. I figured out by the end of making them that this size is too large for the girls, and cutting this shape in half is the perfect size.



I took one of the rectangles, rolled it out pretty thin and then cut it in half.


Next, I plop some jelly in the center of one half and then place the other half on top.


I gently pressed the edges together to seal them and then crimped them with a fork.

I poked some holes in the top to let out steam,

and then brushed the top with an egg wash.

I baked them at 375 degrees for about 18 minutes.


(A lot of the jelly will leak out so you will want to line the pan with parchment paper and put fresh paper down for each batch. )

The Result? 
Yummy, delicious, healthy, crunchy and gobbled up quickly. 
















2 comments:

nanny said...

looks good!!!

AIMA said...

Those look great! The boys don't like store-bought Pop Tarts, but since they like toast and jelly, they might like these.